Limestone University Online Program uses an online proctoring service as a more efficient and convenient way to maintain academic integrity in online and hybrid courses. This means that you won’t use a human proctor for this course. The service is fully integrated within Blackboard and available 24/7.
This program will require the use of a webcam and microphone (internal or external). There are many options available for purchasing a webcam if you don’t already have one or if one is not built-in to your computer. There are options for under $10 online. You’ll be able to use this webcam for future courses that use this proctoring tool. There will also be computers available to use at the proctoring sites around the state.
Although there is not a human watching you take your exam, the software will record audio and video during the exam, so make sure you’re following the guidelines set by your instructor while testing. You should select a quiet, private space for testing. Only your instructor will be reviewing the recordings.
Getting Started – once your online class begins
Step 1: Make sure you have Google Chrome
Because Proctorio will not work on any other browser (e.g., Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer), make sure you have the Google Chrome browser. If you don’t already have Google Chrome, you can download it for free: https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/.
Step 2: Follow Instructions for Chrome’s Proctorio Extension
Once you have access to your course, there will be a Practice Quiz to get you acclimated to the Proctorio testing environment. When you are going to take your Practice Quiz, make sure you install the Chrome extension by clicking the link titled Secure Exam Proctor before starting the test. (You only need to do this once.)
Step 3: Take the Practice Quiz
- Once you’ve installed the extension, you will be taken back to the Practice Quiz. Click on it to see the instructions and then click Begin.
- This quiz is meant to ensure you know how Proctorio works and what you need to do if you encounter any issues during the exam. It is not for credit.
- Once you’ve read through the instructions, click Start Exam Pre-checks. A System Diagnostics Test will run to make sure you have the necessary requirements to take the exam, which includes video recording, audio recording, identity verification, and screen recording.
- If you are missing something, it will alert you and tell you what the problem is. To resolve the problem, you can click the link for troubleshooting (both noted by an arrow below). You can also perform a Re-Test when you believe you have fixed the problem.
When you meet all the requirements, you will be allowed to enter the Practice Quiz. Again, this Practice Quiz is not scored, and you can take it as many times as you like. It is just to help you understand Proctorio.
The experience for taking the other proctored exams in your course will be the same as the Practice Quiz.
Step 4: Where can I take my exams?
You may take your exams at home, in your office, on the road, or anywhere you choose. Proctorio will allow you to take your exams at your convenience as long as you are testing within the scheduled testing period.
If you do not have the technology capabilities to use Proctorio, and you wish to go to an Online Customer Service Center to use a Limestone Computer for your test, please email your site to reserve a time:
Aiken – email@example.com
Charleston – firstname.lastname@example.org
Columbia – email@example.com
Florence – firstname.lastname@example.org
Greenville – email@example.com
For the Gaffney Online Program site, please make an appointment through the testing center webpage.
Getting to Know the Features
Below are the details about the features that will be used with Proctorio during the exam. Again, this is to keep the integrity of the test, and ensure that no student has any unfair advantage while offering you the convenience of taking the exam at any time.
1. Video Recording: During the exam, your video will be recorded the entire time.
2. Audio Recording: This will test your Audio levels and make sure your microphone is working properly. During the exam, your audio will be recorded the entire time.
3. Identity Verification: You will need to use a Government-Issued Identification, e.g., a driver’s license or passport. You will be prompted to hold up your ID to the webcam (make sure to center in frame).
4. Screen Recording: During the exam, Proctorio will also be recording your screen.
Proctorio has 24/7 help available at https://proctorio.zendesk.com/. There is a chat option available there as well.