The Limestone Teacher Education Program has been approved by the South Carolina Board of Education to prepare students for Teacher Licensure in South Carolina in the following licensure in areas:
Physical Education (K-12)
Instrumental Music (K-12)
Vocal Music (K-12)
Points of Pride
- 100% of our graduates are either teaching or in graduate school within one year of graduation.
- Our in-service retention rate for graduates is 85-95% after 10 years.
- We are accredited by NCATE and approved by the South Carolina Board of Education to prepare teachers in Early Childhood, Elementary, English, Math, Physical Education, Instrumental Music, and Vocal Music.
- Our Music Education program is accredited by NASM.
- We are a program within a minority-serving (African-American) institution.
- We partner with Call Me MiSTER™ to prepare African-American and other minority men to become classroom teachers.
- We have a strong relationship with surrounding school districts and schools (Cherokee, Spartanburg 3, Spartanburg 7, The Village School of Gaffney, Spartanburg Prep Charter School).
- 100% of our candidates have an opportunity to observe, practice, and implement instruction before being evaluated on the South Carolina Teaching Standards (SCTS 4.0) evaluation.
- Our faculty has autonomy to create first-rate curriculum and field experiences to prepare our candidates for the classroom.
- We are the only SC institution to take the Educational Technology in Teacher Preparation Challenge from the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Educational Technology.
- We partner with Cherokee County Know2.
- We offer Elementary Education in hybrid format with our Online Program.
- We offer some general education and foundational education coursework online.
- We partner with Teacher Cadets in two local high schools.
- We were awarded NASA MEI grants in 2017 and 2018 to take a team of pre-service teachers to NASA Langley to learn how to incorporate STEM practices in schools.
- We are members of NASA EPDC Emerging Starts Network.
- We initiated Pi Lambda Theta Honor Society in 2018 to recognize outstanding students in education.