The mission of the Limestone University Honors College is to provide academically gifted students with a rigorous interdisciplinary curriculum and an engaging learning community that equips them with the knowledge, creativity, and adaptability to thrive and lead.
Why Join The Honors College At Limestone?
The skills that we help develop in the Honors College are skills that employers and graduate schools are looking for. In other words, being in the Honors College is going to help you tremendously after you graduate from Limestone. As a graduate of our Honors College will give you a leg up when applying to graduate school or entering the job market.
Limestone’s Honors College is not necessarily “harder” -- but it is different. For example, in a regular Public Speaking class, you might give four speeches to your fellow students. However, in our advanced Public Speaking class, you might be asked to give a speech in a different forum, perhaps in an online setting, or possibly to a local civic club.
Curriculum: What can an Honors College student expect?
- Taking courses, particularly in the freshman year, with many of the same students – forming a learning community
- Many courses double as general education requirements as well
- Some Honors course requirements also satisfy major requirements
- Emphasis on different kinds of learning rather than more work (service learning, independent research or research with faculty, more class discussion)
- Small classes where Honors College professors get to know you personally
- Classes taught by highly-qualified faculty, including two Fulbright Scholars
Perks: What can an Honors College student expect?
- NEW: The Honors house is open! It is a place for Honors students to interact both academically and socially! By the end of September 2021, the facilities will include: two front room social spaces with large screen TV’s, a fully stocked kitchen with a grind-and-brew coffee maker, k-cup machine, a refrigerator and stove, microwave, new tilt-head stand mixer, cooking and eating utensils, and more!
- 500-dollar renewable stipend per year
- Priority housing selection for upperclassmen (provided they live with another Honors student)
- Priority registration
- A Freshman who chooses to live in Honors housing in Ball Residence Hall will receive SINGLE rooms WITHOUT having to pay a single supplement – meaning the regular double rate will apply (available on a first-come first served basis).
- Funded research-presentation opportunities (if eligible) at the SRHC or the NCHC, with chances to meet Honors College students from around the country
Social and Networking Events: What can an Honors College student expect?
- August kick-off event with the yearly “swag” distribution
- Networking with alumni opportunities (Homecoming, Alumni Weekend)
- Honors College/Alpha Chi Dinner
- Xmas Dinner (cookie decorating contest, gift card raffles, etc.)
- Laser Tag/Bowling at the Big E
- And more!
Honors College Facts and Figures
- There are also Honors students who come as far away as Zimbabwe, the Netherlands, and Germany
- Future plans include opportunities to join study abroad programs for Honors students
Honors College Conditions
After being accepted, retention into the Honors College is dependent upon maintaining a “B” or higher cumulative grade point average (3.0 to 4.0 scale) in all coursework. Students who successfully complete the program’s requirements will receive special recognition at their graduation ceremony.
History Of The Honors College
Limestone’s Honors College was initially an Honors Program, established in the fall of 1983 as a way to create a challenging academic environment for gifted and special ability students on The University’s Day Campus. The inaugural Honors Program included 16 students. In July 2021, the Honors Program officially became an Honors College.
How To Apply
We are now looking for creative and bright minds who will take the College to the next level.
Honors College Admissions Requirements
Honors students are enrolled into our program, but they are not confined to any particular academic major.
Engaging, Challenging, Rewarding. Limestone’s Honors College is looking for the next wave of exceptional students who want to make the most of their comprehensive university education.
Are you ready for the challenge? If so, we are excited to hear from you! Please complete the application below.
Honors College Application
If you have any questions, please contact Limestone University Honors College Dean, Dr. Jonathan Sarnoff: email@example.com.