If you receive obscene, abusive, harassing, or threatening calls, the following are suggestions that may prevent further problems of this nature and/or assist in identifying the caller:
- Hang up at the first obscene word.
- Hang up if the caller remains silent the second time you say hello.
- Do not give any information such as your name, address, or verify your phone number until the caller has been properly identified as someone you know. The best response from you is as little as possible.
- Remain calm, don’t give any indicators the call upsets you.
- Keep a record of the calls. Write down the date and time of the call, what was said, and the characteristics of the caller, such as a deep or high voice, accent, background noise, intoxicated, etc. If your phone has a caller Id feature, record or save the callers number.
- If calls persist, call Campus Security at 864-488-8344 – on campus extension 8344, and file a report.
- Be selective with whom you tell about the calls. Many obscene or harassing phone calls are made by acquaintances or someone you may have had a recent negative encounter with. Handle calls properly by discussing them only with the proper authorities that can help you deal with this.