David Riggins Tabbed To Oversee Limestone's Presidential Search Committee
The search for Limestone College’s next President has begun with the formation of a 13-member Presidential Search Committee that will be led by Board of Trustees Vice-Chairman David Riggins.
The committee will conduct a comprehensive national search for the successor to Dr. Walt Griffin, who announced on April 21 that he will retire in December after leading the College for 25 years.
The committee will soon select a professional firm to facilitate and assist with the search process. The Presidential Search Committee plans to interview several candidates and will recommend a number of them for consideration by the full Board. The Board of Trustees will then name a new President.
In addition to Riggins as Chairman, the Presidential Search Committee is comprised of:
- Jim Brown, Board of Trustees member, President of Brown Packing Company
- Michael Cerino, Limestone’s Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics
- Crosland “Crossie” Cox, Limestone alum, Board of Trustees member, Clemson City Council member
- Kelly Curtis, Limestone alum, Limestone’s Vice President for Institutional Advancement
- Judy Hamrick, Limestone alum, former Board of Trustees member, community activist
- Lyman Hamrick, Board of Trustees member, former Board of Trustees Chairman, Director at Hamrick Mills
- Dr. Paul LeFrancois, Limestone Professor of Economics/Chair, Division of Professional Studies
- Dr. Shelly Meyers, Limestone Director of Teacher Education/Chair, Division of Education and Physical Education
- John Milko, Board of Trustees member, Plant Manager at Timken Company in Gaffney
- Dr. Jim Prevost, Limestone alum, Board of Trustees member, long-time educator
- Randall Richardson, Board of Trustees member, CEO/Managing Principal of Alpha Healthcare Systems
- Joseph F. Sullivan, Board of Trustees member, Owner/Manager of KeenanSuggs Insurance
Riggins said the committee will reach out to students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community leaders to gather input on the leadership characteristics of the next President at Limestone.
“We are excited about the future of Limestone and the leadership our next President will bring for the benefit of our students and the communities of Gaffney and Cherokee County,” Riggins explained. “We are seeking a President who can build upon Dr. Griffin’s achievements and lead us to an even brighter future.
“The committee members bring a deep understanding of Limestone, and their complementary backgrounds will give our committee diverse perspectives,” Riggins added. “We are confident we will find a motivated, enthusiastic leader to build upon Limestone’s legacy. I appreciate the confidence that our Board Chairman, Randy Hines, has shown in me to appoint this committee. We cannot say enough about the tremendous things that Dr. Griffin has accomplished at Limestone, and our next President will have some mighty big shoes to fill.”
A Limestone alum, Riggins is the President/Owner of D.P. Riggins & Associates, Inc., a Charlotte-based company that he founded in 1982. He was recently inducted into the Limestone College Athletics Hall of Fame. Riggins, who resides in Charlotte with his wife, Hope, is a Gaffney native and 1973 graduate of Limestone. He is currently serving his third term as a member of the College’s Board of Trustees. Riggins earned his Master’s in Business Administration from Winthrop University. He has served on numerous boards including Clemson University Board of Visitors, Winthrop University Business Administration Advisory Board, Wofford College President’s Advisory Board, and formerly served as President of the Grandfather Golf & Country Club. He is a past Chairman and current Board member for the Crossnore School & Children’s Home. Riggins worked in the past with Colgate Palmolive, Exxon Mobil, and Ball Plastics, and he founded Sunbelt Packaging based in York.
“David is a consummate professional who has the right experience to lead this Presidential Search Committee,” said Hines, who is a Limestone alum. “The Board of Trustees has great faith in him to guide this committee through this extremely important endeavor. The committee will play a critical role in the future of Limestone and we are grateful for their commitment to this great College. Dr. Griffin is leaving with Limestone in a position of strength, and that will allow his successor to build upon the positive momentum we are enjoying.”
Riggins said that updates from the Presidential Search Committee will be posted periodically here on the College’s website.