Professor of Economics - Dean, School of Business & Professional Studies
Email Addressplefrancois [at] limestone.edu
Dr. Paul LeFrancois joined the Limestone University faculty in 1985 and he currently serves as Professor of Economics and Chair of the Division of Professional Studies. His research and service areas include active living, smart growth and community design, and multi-modal transportation. He is a founding member and current President of the Board of Directors of the Palmetto Cycling Coalition, a 501(C)3 non-profit organization promoting bicycle safety and education in South Carolina. At the local level the Coalition provides expertise in the areas of advocacy, bicycle infrastructure and design, and safety education. With this assistance, five communities in the state (Spartanburg, Greenville, Columbia, Charleston and Hilton Head) have earned the national designation, Bicycle Friendly Community, from the League of American Bicyclists. In 2006, the Coalition drafted legislation to revise South Carolina's bicycle traffic laws. The legislation was approved by the South Carolina House and Senate and signed into law by the governor in June, 2008. In partnership with the South Carolina Department of Public Safety, the Coalition launched the $100,000 Safe Streets Save Lives (www.safestreetssavelives.org) Campaign in 2011, the state's first comprehensive bicycle safety education program. In Cherokee County, Dr. LeFrancois serves as Chair of the Carolina Thread Trail Steering Committee. The Committee directed the efforts for development of a Greenway Master Plan for Cherokee County completed in the summer of 2012 and recently adopted by the County, the Town of Blacksburg, and the City of Gaffney.
Dr. LeFrancois has presented at the National Trails Day Symposium in Awendaw, South Carolina, the South Carolina Department of Transportation Bicycle and Pedestrian Accommodations Conference in Greenville, South Carolina and the National Bike Summit in Washington, DC. In 2010 he was selected as the National Advocate of the Year by the Alliance for Biking and Walking. When not teaching or advocating for the benefits of smart growth and active living, he enjoys travel with his wife Jan. Recent trips have included travel to the West African nation of Mali to visit a nephew in the Peace Corp, to India with Converse College faculty and students and to Italy for a week-long yoga retreat.
- Founding board member - Palmetto Cycling Coalition, 501(c)3 non-profit promoting bicycle access, safety and education in South Carolina
- Passage of H.3006 - Bicycle Safety Bill by the South Carolina legislature
- SC Department of Public Safety $75,000 grant to develop statewide Safe Streets Save Lives campaign Adoption of the Cherokee County Greenway Master Plan as part of the Carolina Thread Trail System
- American Economics Association
- Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals Bike Ed - League Certified Instructor
- B.S. University of Massachusetts
- M.A. West Virginia University
- Ph.D. West Virginia University