Associate Professor of Human Resource Management
Email Addresscbadams [at] limestone.edu
Dr Chitalu Adams joined Limestone University in August, 2019 as a full-time Associate Professor of Human Resource Management. She has spent a good part of her life- living and working in the United Kingdom. Previous appointments include but not limited to: Assistant Professor and Program Director at Huddersfield Business School; University of Huddersfield; Plymouth Business School; University of Plymouth, UK. She has taught HRM courses at four levels: Doctoral, Graduate (Executive MBA, MBA, MSc in HRM), and Undergraduate.
Dr Adams also has also worked in several HR positions including organizational development and business partner roles. In her previous HR Partner role, she had responsibility for stakeholder management and development of communication lines to encourage proactive involvement, raise awareness, and manage reporting requirements with stakeholders including union officials, HR Advisors, Project Managers and employees. She has maintained active engagement with HRM professional bodies which help her remain current in her practice and teaching of HRM. She has been certified as a chartered Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and development (CIPD, UK) as well as Senior Certified Professional, Society of HRM).
Dr Adams completed her PhD in Management (HRM concentration) at the University of Central Lancashire in the United Kingdom, on the contemporary topic of talent management in European Multinationals. Other qualifications include an MBA from Strathclyde Graduate School in Glasgow, UK and an MA in HRM from the University of the West of England in Bristol UK. She has professional certification in HRM for both the USA and UK: SHRM- Senior Certified Professional (USA) and Chartered Member- Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD- UK).
She is very passionate about her research in the area Talent Management, International HRM, and Sustainable HRM. She is a regular reviewer for European Academy of Management conference and British Academy of Management conference. She has presented over 15 research papers at international conferences such as the Global International HRM conference, European Academy of Management, British Academy of Management, Academy of International Business to mention but a few. She has also published papers in reputable journals such as the Thunderbird International Business Review.
Her love for international dimensions of managing people as an organizational resource has taken her to many interesting countries such as: Spain, Finland, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Uganda to mention but a few. Uganda was her most recent- in 2018, Dr Adams travelled to the Northern part of Uganda, carried out research rooted in the UN Global Sustainability Goals (UNSDG) - specifically addressing Goal 6: ‘Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all’. This was a feasibility study with the aim of getting further funding from the Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) that supports cutting-edge research that addresses problems faced by developing countries and focuses on outcomes that promote secure and resilient food systems, sustainable health and well-being, inclusive and equitable quality education, clean air, water and sanitation, and affordable, reliable, and sustainable energy. The GCRF is part of the UK’s Official Development Assistance (ODA) commitment which is monitored by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). She worked as part of a multi-disciplinary environmental policy research team on a GCRF project on clean water and sanitation in Uganda, Gulu, a district affected by many years of civil war. The aim of the project was improving health for children and reducing the infant mortality rate among children aged 0 to 5 years, which currently stands at 16.2%, through the introduction of a radiolysis technology. Her role was to look at the human side of implementing high-tech water and sanitation solutions. As an advocate, I focused on local capacity building within a highly contextualized region which needed consideration of path dependencies and levels of confidence in a region where people feel “left behind”.
- Achieved Alignment of the HRM and HR T&D Bachelor’s programs at Limestone University with the Society of Human Resource Management Curriculum which is AASCB accredited (November, 2019).
- Organized successful early career researchers and doctoral researchers research workshop sponsored by the Northern Advanced Research Training Institute attracting over 70 participants from various universities across the United Kingdom (September 2018).
- Won funding for Huddersfield Business School-UK - over $40,000 through consultancy proposal for Workforce Redesign for Airedale Hospital National Health Service Hospital Trusts in the UK. The proposed project focused on restructuring job roles to reduce the burden of care on nurses and doctors and ensuring efficiency in patient care (October 2018).
- Senior Certified Professional- Society for Human Resource Management- USA
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy, UK.
- Chartered Member, Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, UK.
Selected Research Publications
- Kabwe, C. and Tripathi, S. (2020) My talent or yours? A labour process analysis of talent management in practice’, Competition & Change - special issue on the Enactment of Neoliberalism in the Workplace.
- Kabwe, C. and Okorie, C. (2019) ‘The efficacy of talent management for international business. Thunderbird International Business Journal. https://doi.org/10.1002/tie.22090
- Baker, A and Kabwe, C. B. (2017) “An exploration of the impact voluntary redundancies has on surviving employee motivation within the public sector”, Journal of Research Studies in Business and Management: Vol 3: 1
- Certificate in Human Resources Management (University of Georgia, USA)
- PhD in Human Resources Management (University of Central Lancashire, UK)
- MBA (The University of Strathclyde, UK)
- MA in Human Resources Management (University of the West of England, UK)
- BSc Honors (Psychology) Open University, United Kingdom