- BS Business Administration - Accounting, The Citadel
- Master of Business Administration -Syracuse University
- Doctor of Management - University of Phoenix
Publications and Presentations
• Scharff, M. M. (2017, June). Achieving initial ACBSP Accreditation – Lessons Learned. Presentation at the annual ACBSP Conference, Anaheim, CA
Scharff, M. M. (2011, October). Cheating in online environments. Paper presented at the Institute of Behavioral and Applied Management annual conference.
• Scharff, M. M. (2011, May). I learned it all from the movies. Graduation speaker, Limestone University 2011 graduation ceremony.
• Scharff, M. M. (2009, December). Mottos to Live by. Graduation speaker, Limestone University, 2009 graduation ceremony.
• Mujtaba, B. G., Scharff, M. M., Cavico, F. J., & Mujtaba, M. G. (August, 2008). Challenges and Joys of Earning a Doctorate Degree: Overcoming the “ABD” Phenomenon. Research in Higher Education Journal, Vol. 1(1), pp. 10-26.
• Scharff, M., Mujtaba, B., Samborowski, L, & Meyerson, D. (2007, August). Reducing Attrition in Doctoral Programs. Professional Development Workshop at the 2007 Academy of Management Conference.
• Mujtaba B. & Scharff, M. (2007). Earning a doctorate degree in the 21st century: Challenges and joys. Davie, FL: ILEAD.
• Scharff, M. M. & Mujtaba, B., (2006). Mentoring and institutional learning. In B. Mujtaba (Ed.), The art of mentoring diverse professionals: Employee development and retention practices for entrepreneurs and multinational corporations (pp. 19-36). Hallandale, FL: Aglob.
• Scharff, M. M., (2006, January). Book Review: The ugly duckling goes to work: Wisdom for the workplace from the classic tales of Hans Christian Anderson, by Mette Norgaard. Journal of Applied Management and Entrepreneurship, 11(1), 93-94.
• Scharff, M. M. (2006, August). Mentoring virtual employees. Paper presented at the 2006 Academy of Management Conference.
• Ciullia, J., Cochran, P., Wood, D., & Scharff, M. (2006, August). What we need to know about ethics and leadership. Professional Development Workshop at the 2006 Academy of Management Conference.
• Scharff, M. M. (2005). Understanding WorldCom's accounting fraud: Did groupthink play a role? Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, 11(3), 109-118.
• Scharff, M. M. (2005, July). WorldCom: A failure of moral and ethical values. Journal of Applied Management and Entrepreneurship, 10(3), 35-47.
• Mujtaba, B., Scharff, M., Kennedy, J., Artley, J., Jue, A., Wilson, S., & Castillo, M., (2005, August). Mentoring and the learning organization. Symposium at the 2005 Academy of Management Conference.
Honors and Awards
• Fullerton Foundation Award for Teaching Excellence (2007 & 2012)
• Dissertation of the Year Award (2006)
• Sam M. Walton Free Enterprise Fellowship (2006-2007)
• Delta Mu Delta, honor society in Business Administration
• Sigma Beta Delta, honor society in Business Administration
• Beta Gamma Sigma, honor society for collegiate schools of business
• Finance Leadership Award, MCI
• Finance Hero Award, MCI
• Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
• Army Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
• Army Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
• National Defense Service Medal
• Army Service Ribbon
• Army Overseas Service Ribbon
• Army Parachute Badge
• Honduran Parachute Badge