Dr. Stephen Fast
Associate Professor of Mathematics
- Ph.D., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- M.A., University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- B.A., University of Akron
Particular Mathematical Interests
Courses Fall 2013
- MA 122 Pre-Calculus
- MA 317 Probability Theory
- MA 320 Modern Algebra
- MA 550 Quantitative Methods
- Family- my wife (Judy) and I have five sons, ages 8 to 29. The eldest is a chemical engineer for ExxonMobil and the second works for Mooreland Partners, a global investment banking firm that specializes in mergers and aquisitions advisory services. Our third son is a mechanical/applications engineer for Freightliner Trucks, and our fourth son is in the graduate school of Rice University where he studies mathematics. So each of our grown sons has gone into work that involves mathematics, analytical skills, and model building. The seven year-old enjoys his play time when not doing homeschool. My wife and I homeschooled our older four sons, and we now do the same for the youngest.
- Gardening and farming- we have a cattle farm in the Blue Ridge mountains where we spend time in the summer. My wife and I tend our garden and orchard, and I tend the cattle, hunt, and fish.