Assistant Professor of Social Work
Email Addressrdickerson [at] limestone.edu
Professor Dickerson earned a BA in Social Work and a BA in Psychology from Limestone University, in Gaffney, SC. MSW College of Social Work, University of South Carolina and a PhD in Human Services with Specialization in Social Work in Community Services from Capella University, Minneapolis, MN. Professor Dickerson has a wide range of experiences within the field of Social Work. Professor Dickerson has served has the Clinical Program Coordinator for Human Service Associate Degree Program at Trident Technical College where he supervises students Field Internships; He has also served as Department Head and Academic Program Coordinator-Human Services with Trident Technical College where his primary duties included course and curriculum development and development of online courses; Mental Health Counselor with Berkeley County Mental Health where his primary responsibilities were counseling court appointed youth offenders and clients; and Program Director with the Florence Crittenton Program of South Carolina. As an assistant professor for Limestone University, he has taught across Social Work Curriculum.
Dickerson, R. (2011). Impact of perinatal loss among adolescent parents: A phenomenological study. ProQuest LLC. Ann Arbor, MI.
Grants and Funding
- 2004, Ford, S & Dickerson, R., ³Father to Father Initiative Grant² funded by the Sisters of Charity of South Carolina, $390,000; Father to Father Initiative Program.
- 2003, Dickerson, R., Program Director, ³Program Funding Grant² funded by Trident United Way of Charleston, South Carolina, $45,000; Program Enhancement.
- 2002, Dickerson, R., Program Director, ³Program Funding Grant² funded by Trident United Way of Charleston, South Carolina, $30,000; Florence Crittenton Pregnancy Prevention.
- 2001, Dickerson, R., Program Director, ³Program Funding Grant² funded by Trident United Way of Charleston, South Carolina, $45,000; Florence Crittenton Pregnancy Prevention.
- Presentations (Refereed Local and Regional Abstracts)
- Dickerson, R. (2008). Grief Support. Southern Organization for Human Services Annual Conference, March 26-29, 2008, Charleston, SC.
- Dickerson, R. (2003). Ethical Issues in Aging. SC NASW Spring Symposium, March 13, 2003, Columbia, SC.
- Dickerson, R. (2003). Facing the Fear around Advance Directives. SC NASW Spring Symposium, March 13, 2003, Columbia, SC.
- Dickerson, R., & Mathew Hamlet (2002). Father to Father Initiative SC NASW Spring Symposium, March 6-8, 2002, Columbia, SC
- Council on Social Work Education- Member
- Council on Social Work Education 57th Annual Conference Atlanta, GA
- National Leadership by Developing and Influencing Disability Employment, Cornell University ILR School Employment and Disability, (Webcast)
- The South Carolina Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors
- Certification Commission 2011 Fall Conference Isle of Palms, SC
- Council on Social Work Education
- Facilitator Darkness to Light/Stewarts of Children
- Human Rights Committee Member Charleston County Disability Board
- Webmaster National Organization for Human Services
- Southern Organization for Human Services Conference
- South Carolina State Rep Southern Organization for Human Services
- Tau Upsilon Alpha National Honor Society
- Division Council for Aging Trident United Way
- National Association of Social Workers
Human Service Board Certified Practitioner
- PhD Human Services (Specialization in Social Work and Community Services), Capella University May 31, 2011
- Masters of Social Work, University of South Carolina May 31, 2002
- Bachelor of Arts Social Work, Limestone College (Magna cum Laude) December 12, 1998
- Bachelor of Arts Psychology, Limestone College (Magna cum Laude) December 12, 1998